Frequently Asked QuestionsWhat you need to know to get the perfect tan
What does SPF mean?
SPF stands for Sun Protection Factor and refers to the theoretical amount of time you can stay in the sun without getting sunburned. For example, an SPF 15 would allow you to stay in the sun 15 times longer than you could without protection.
What is UV radiation?
UV radiation is part of the electromagnetic (light) spectrum that reaches the earth from the sun. It has wavelengths shorter than visible light, making it invisible to the naked eye. These wavelengths are classified as UVA, UVB, or UVC, with UVA the longest of the three at 320-400 nanometers. UVB ranges from 290 to 320 nanometers. With even shorter rays, most UVC is absorbed by the ozone layer and does not reach the earth.
Both UVA and UVB, however, penetrate the atmosphere and play an important role in conditions such as premature skin aging and skin cancers.
What is the difference between the way that Natural and Chemical sunscreens protect?
Natural sunscreens reflect the sun’s rays like a mirror to protect exposed skin. Chemical sunscreens absorb the sun’s rays in a chemical reaction that dissipates the heat back off the skin.
How much sunscreen should I use?
This depends on your body size and the exposed area of your body but approximately 1 ounce (enough to fill a shot glass) is recommended.
How often do I need to re-apply?
One of the top tanning tips of our Suncare Advisors is to reapply the Natural Tone Organic Sunscreens at least every 30 to 45 minutes. Take frequent breaks from the sun. Try and avoid the hours between 1pm and 3pm as this will be the most intense part of the day for UVA and UVB light.
What is the correct way to apply Natural Tone sunscreen?
The best way to apply our sunscreen is to dab a little on your skin then lay it across your skin lightly.
Why don’t you have anything higher than SPF30?
Our sunscreens protect by reflecting the sun’s UVA and UVB rays with better results than chemical sunscreens with higher SPF numbers.
PROTECT, PROMOTE & PROLONG
Everyone, despite their skin types, has three needs in the sun… a Protector, a Promoter and a Prolonger. These three components are essential for minimizing the risk of burning and to achieve a rich, long-lasting, healthy tan.
Natural Tone Organic Skincare SPF 30 and SPF 15 are both made for sun-sensitive areas, highly recommended to use anywhere the bone is close to the skin. When applying lotions DAB & LAY them on and allow to naturally absorb into the skin. At a minimum always use a protector on your face.
Product used in conjunction with the protector to promote a tan. Those with fair skin should use an SPF 8. With a medium base tan you should use an SPF 8 or SPF 4. With a good base tan, Platinum Oil or Organic Beauty & Tanning Oil may be used. Use these fine oils sparingly, small amounts go a long way. Never use on the face.
Aloe Skin Conditioner and Hydrator. This is the key to your tan and should be used daily, year round and more frequently with increased sun exposure on holiday. Everyone needs a prolonger. Best results are obtained when the lotion is applied chilled after a lukewarm shower. The warm water will open the pores of the skin and bring all the heat in the skin to the surface.
THE PRODUCT & THE PROCESS
Natural Tone Organic Skincare products are revolutionary in the industry. They are the only totally chemical-free oils, lotions, and after sun aloes on the market. Only the finest ingredients are used in our formulations.
Natural sunscreens and high quality natural ingredients have been around for years. They are not widely used because of the expense compared to traditional chemical products. Prior to Natural Tone Organic Suncare, no totally chemical-free lotions were on the market because there was no way to emulsify the natural ingredients. In fact, most products that claim to be 100% natural still use chemical emulsifiers. A special machine that has a United States Patent Pending was developed to help mix the fine natural ingredients together in a unique blending process. The machine utilizes four tanks, and forces the ingredients back and forth to allow emulsification. The product can only be made in small batches of 80 gallons at a time, compared to thousands of gallons at large traditional fill plants.
CARDINAL RULES FOR SUNTANNING
- REAPPLY SUNSCREENS FREQUENTLY! Sweating & swimming will dilute any sunscreen’s effectiveness. Next to inadequate SPF (or a total lack of protection), the failure to reapply consistently is the single biggest cause of burning! Under intense sun conditions, reapply at least every 30-40 minutes.
- DON’T RUB IT IN! Research proves that the traditional method of rubbing sun care products quickly into the skin results in the rapid absorption of the lotion. This leaves the outermost layers of skin with far less SPF than you may require. For example, an SPF 15 sun care product can be quickly reduced to the effectiveness of an SPF 3 or 4 either by using too little lotion or by rubbing it too quickly or deeply into the skin. DAB your sunscreen onto sun-sensitive areas, such as the nose and forehead, anywhere the bone is close to thin skin and then LAY the sunscreen on the rest of your body with a light motion. Wait 60 seconds before you slowly stroke the sunscreen, spreading it evenly over and into the skin.
- TAKE FREQUENT SHADE BREAKS! Rather than sun-blasting your skin continuously for extended periods, take frequent shade breaks of 15 minutes or longer. Let your skin cool down & recover from the sun’s bombardment, about once every hour, you can handle more sun more safely this way!
- KEEP SKIN MOISTURIZED WHILE IN THE SUN! Dry skin is far more likely to burn than moist skin which tans faster, deeper and your tan will last much longer. Natural Tone Organic Skincare’s rich natural sunscreens are formulated to keep skin deeply moisturized while in the sun.
- NEVER EXPOSE BURNED SKIN TO MORE SUN! Heal your skin before resuming tanning. Burned skin will not tan, it will only get worse. Use Natural Tone Suncare’s Pure Aloe Gel to heal burns, and Natural Tone Organic Skincare’s Aloe Skin Conditioner & Hydrator to rehydrate and revitalize the skin before going back in the sun. Keep burned skin cool and try to minimize sweating through burned skin, to minimize chances of blistering. Never put waterproof sunscreens on sun-sensitive, pink, or burned skin. The waxes in waterproof products will interfere with your skin’s normal functions and with the healing process.
- DON’T TRY TO SLAM-DUNK A TAN! If you’re starting off with fair skin, go easy for the first couple of days. Gradually get your skin accustomed to increased levels of UV light. A short time in the sun on the first day (with shade breaks), with progressively longer exposure on subsequent days works best. You’re far more likely to burn with fair skin that hasn’t seen strong sunlight for a while. When you have a base tan established, your skin is producing enough melanin to supplement the protection of your sunscreen. As you gradually get darker, you can extend your sun time, lower the SPF you’re using, and even use one of Natural Tone Organic Skincare’s’s fine tanning oils to accelerate and deepen the tan.
- CONDITION YOUR SKIN BEFORE AND AFTER SUN EXPOSURE! Your skin should be hydrated, nourished, and healthy before any extensive sun exposure. During sun exposure, your skin works very hard defending itself, with melanin production being its primary biochemical weapon. After long sun exposure, you need to replenish the moisture and nutrients your skin has used while coping with the sun, which means that after-sun conditioning is critical, especially if planning more sun the next day. Natural Tone Organic Skincare’s Aloe Skin Conditioner & Hydrator is formulated to do both jobs, heal & revitalize your skin after sun exposure and prepare it to handle more sun the next day in the best possible condition. If you’ve had extensive sun exposure & gained a lot of colour (tan, pink, even red), then use Natural Tone Organic Skincare’s Recovery Gel before using the Aloe Skin Conditioner & Hydrator for best skin conditioning results.
- COOL IT! If your skin overheats, it frequently reacts with a classic heat rash (red bumps & blotches — itchy too). This can quickly lead to easy burning, and it can spoil whatever great tan you may already have. Take those occasional shade breaks! Cool off in the water frequently, and REAPPLY your sunscreen! Avoid waterproof, sport block, sweat proof and baby block type sunscreens if spending extended periods in the sun. The petroleum bases in these products can contribute to skin overheating quickly! Use wax less products such as Natural Tone Organic Skincare’s natural sunscreens to allow your skin to function properly, and to help keep skin below that critical damaging temperature. Also avoid thick, heavy oils (like mineral oil), which can clog the pores & cause the same overheating problem as those waxy sunscreens.